Recipe by Ric Orlando
New World Home Cooking CafÃ© and New World Catering Saugerties, NY
- 2 packages Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 packed cup oil cured olives
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about one clove)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 tbls chopped parsley
- 2 tbls breadcrumbs
- 1 large roasted red pepper, peeled and seeded, about 1/3 cup (canned are acceptable)
- 1 tsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Â¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbls pinenuts
- grape seed or olive oil for sauteeing
Cut the tofu black in half and then in half widthwise creating 4 nice squares per package. If you have time, press the squares by putting them between two cookie sheets with a small amount of weight, maybe couple of cans of beans for instance, for about 30 minutes to remove some of the water in the tofu. This is optional, but makes for a âsteakierâ dish.
Put the olives, garlic, crushed pepper, parsley and bread crumbs in a food processor and puree until you have a paste. Press the olive paste evenly and neatly on one flat side each tofu steak and reserve. Put the peeled roasted pepper, garlic, vinegar, salt and olive oil in a blender on puree until very smooth.
Cook your dish! Using a heavy non stick skillet, cook the tofu steak, olive side down, in grape seed or olive oil over medium heat for three to for minutes, or until the edges look a bit golden. Turn carefully and cook until warm through.
Serve two squares per person. Drizzle plate with red pepper sauce, basil leaves and pine nuts. For hearty dinner, served with steamed kale or broccoli, and either polenta or potatoes.
For more of Chef Ricâs recipes visit http://ricorlando.com